The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, advocacy, business associations, corporate governance, democratic governance, access to information, the informal sector and property rights, and women and youth. CIPE programs are supported by the National Endowment for Democracy, the U.S. Agency for International Development and the U.S. Department of State, the Middle East Partnership Initiative, and the U.S. Embassy in Iraq Office for Private Sector Development.
To strengthen democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform.
- Foster institutions necessary to establish and sustain market-oriented democracies.
- Increase private sector participation in the democratic process.
- Increase support for and understanding of the freedoms, rights, and responsibilities
__essential to market-oriented democracies among government officials, businesspeople,
__media and the public.
- Improve governance through transparency and accountability in the public and private sectors.
- Strengthen freedom of association and private, voluntary business organizations.
- Promote an entrepreneurial culture and understanding of how markets work.
- Expand access to information necessary for sound entrepreneurial and policy decisions.
Areas of Work
- Democratic Governance – CIPE works to create and strengthen institutions of accountability
__and increase public participation in reform.
- Combating Corruption – With the private sector leading the way, CIPE seeks to improve
__governance mechanisms and standards and make a link between cultural norms and the rule
- Business Association Development – CIPE supports grassroots participation of private sector
__organizations by providing support and technical assistance.
- Corporate Governance – CIPE initiates and supports programs to educate private sector
__leaders and the public on fairness, accountability, responsibility, and transparency.
- Legal and Regulatory Reform – CIPE encourages the private sector to identify laws and
__regulations that hinder business activity and make reform recommendations.
- Access to Information – CIPE works with local partners to achieve greater transparency in
__government and an unrestricted voice for reformers.
- Women and Youth – CIPE supports women and youth through entrepreneurship and
- Informal Sector and Property Rights – CIPE and its partners support the democratic voice and
__participation of the informal sector, reforming business registration procedures, and
__strengthening private property rights.
The CIPE Pakistan office was established in January 2006. In that time, CIPE has worked with a wide range of chambers of commerce and business associations, think tanks, academic institutions, and others to carry out its programs. CIPE has seen significant achievements through its work in Pakistan, including in reforming chambers of commerce and business association, building the capacity of women’s chambers, improving the quality of economic journalism, and encouraging better corporate governance in family-owned firms.